The Death of Us by Vani Subramanian
A quiet contemplation on a range of cases in which the death penalty was pronounced, ending in execution, commutation to life sentence, acquittal or even pardon. Speaking to those who have been on death row or those very closely involved with the cases, we engage in complex conversations on crime and punishment, revenge and justice, popular rhetoric and personal experiences.
New York, USA
Madurai; Kolkata; Chennai; India
One-time advertising writer, Vani Subramanian has been a women's rights activist and documentary filmmaker since the nineties. Her work as a filmmaker explores the connections between everyday practices and larger political questions, be they in the areas of culture, food production, primary education, urban development, communalism, sex selective abortions or matters of identity embedded in our food practices. Her films have been screened, and received awards, both nationally and internationally. More recently, Vani has extended her practice to video art in performance, as well as a mixed media installation.
- Researchers: Vani Subramanian, Nidhi Kol
- Script Writer, Narrator: Vani Subramanian
- Cinematographer: Desmond Roberts
- Additional Cinematographers: Vani Subramanian, Rusha Bose
- Sound Designers: Pratik Biswas, Gangotri Mishra
- Editors: Kuldeep Gaur,Vani Subramanian
- Music Score: David Hewson
- Project Partner: Doordarshan